Saturday 22 July 2017

My plans for 8th Edition

Tale of Gamers Result

Whoops, forgot to post. The campaign for Tale of Gamers is over and Deathwatch came first, although it involved a bit of luck as the guy who was tied first went on holiday and everything was falling quiet due to 8th Edition. Whilst they were strong in the lower points brackets, I noticed the Deathwatch as a pure army list are very difficult as the points cap rises. Games towards the end involved victory based on luck and I only won the final game due to a Valkyrie that was added because I lacked the money for a Corvus flyer.

Still, I had fun and managed to get 1500pts painted in sixth months which is a record as a lazy painter. But it's time to re-open an old project for the remaining half of the year.




8th Edition

8th Edition has rolled round and I am enjoying the new rules. I decided to take a break from the Deathwatch and started to play with my Imperial Guard force, specifically Militarum Tempestus (AKA Stormtroopers or Scions). This was my main army at one point and the Index opens up lots of fun units that patch holes in one of the most restrictive armies in the game. But I'm trying to avoid too much ally spam and keep it as single-faction as I can.

Hotshot Lasguns have had a major boost with the changes to armour values and AP. With enough shots, you can hope for some lucky sixes to wound and force a vehicle to make saves with a -2 to their saving throw. You are no longer ignoring armour entirely with the new AP rules, but -2 isn't too common on small arms as even the boltgun doesn't affect saving throws anymore, so it's made the Scions feel more powerful. Their 4+ armour save also goes much further.

As for the Taurox Prime, this has turned into a killing machine. The firepower that this little vehicle can put put is terrifying, with the missile truck in particular throwing tank-busting or infantry-shredding rounds across the table. They cost a lot though and I've reached a point where I cannot put three of them in by default as you really need infantry models on the table this edition to screen things and provide numbers. I'm leaning towards larger and more numerous squads of Scions instead with their increased number of special weapons.

Annoyingly, the command rod on the Prime model has been made a piece of wargear. I omitted this as it was decorative and I wanted a Plasma Pistol, so neither of my Primes have this item that is very useful as it grants an extra order. The command squads have some useful effects though with med-packs and banners.

Overall, it's been enjoyable so far after a few games of 8th with some very crazy situations occurring. A Stompa getting stabbed in the toe by a sergeant with power sword just for a gatling gun to take it down from a Taurox Prime. A Morkanaut also got shot in the face by my Vindicaire Assassin to take it down. And that Eldar god of death Yncarne got fragged by my Valkyrie after failing to kill it in melee and ending up closest target

Here's hoping for a good period for 40k.

No comments:

Post a Comment